101 for Couples: Fundamentals of Recognizing and Understanding Neurodiversity in a Relationship
In a neurodiverse relationship? This online, self-paced course is for you!
For neurodiverse intimate relationships — a relationships in which one or both partners identify as Autistic or Neurdivergent — improving connection requires an awareness of each partner’s neurological profile and an understanding of the role their neurological differences have on the relationship.
AANE’s Neurodiverse Couples Institute offers online courses for couples/partners and therapists/coaches who work with Neurodiverse couples/partners together or individually. Check out the courses offered for therapists and coaches.
Included in this 3 hour self-paced online course:
- 2 video interviews with neurodiverse couples on recognizing neurodiversity
- 2 video interviews with neurodiverse couples about understanding neurodiversity
- 4 lectures by experts in the field of neurodiverse couples therapy
- 4 downloadable PDFs about Autistic traits, stories by neurotypical partners, stories by Autistic partners, and recommended resources
Intimate interviews with neurodiverse couples are enlightening.
Many couples come to the realization that they are in a neurodiverse relationship decades into their relationship, after listening to a podcast, reading a book, or watching a movie that includes a character with an Autistic profile. But recognizing neurodiversity is just the beginning … then what? How does neurodiversity impact an intimate relationship? What is the effect on the couple together and on each partner separately?
The couples you will meet in this course love each other and work hard to understand and accept their differences.
Pete—a physician, and Ann, a nurse, who work together—were married for many years before they discovered that they were a neurodiverse couple. Once they recognized that Pete is Autistic, they were determined to understand how Pete’s autism impacted their relationship.
Ann & Pete
Married for almost 40 years
Watch these lectures from experts in the field:
- Neurology Really Matters, Grace Myhill, MSW. Learn why it can be difficult for couples therapists to recognize autism in their clients.
- Recognizing Neurodiversity in a Couple, Grace Myhill, MSW. Identify traits commonly seen in an Autistic partner, and typical reactions and responses of neurotypical partners to their partner on the spectrum.
- Overview of Asperger’s & Autism and It’s Impact on a Couple, Jamie Freed, MSW. Learn the strengths and challenges Autistic traits bring and their impact on the relationship.
- Understanding the Impact of Neurodiversity on a Couple, Grace Myhill, MSW. Learn why it is important to reframe a couple as neurodiverse and to find support to validate and normalize each partner’s experience.
Please take AANE’s brief survey to help us better understand the unique needs of neurodiverse partners.
List of Downloadable PDFs for Participants
These are the documents you can keep after you have completed the course:
COMMON AUTIST TRAITS AND THEIR IMPACT ON EACH PARTNER AND ON THEIR RELATIONSHIP DYNAMICS
Understanding Neurodiverse Relationships: Perspectives from Autistic Partners
1. An Aspie’s Perspective on Neurodiverse Marriage by Sam Farmer
2. Untitled by David Greenfield
3. Disclosure With My Wife by Stephen M. Shore
4. The Potential for Transformation by Karen
5. Aspie Love by Elizabeth Avery with help from Nomi Kaim
6. How Dancing Saved My Life, by Peter M. Friedman
Understanding Neurodiverse Relationships: Perspectives from Neurotypical (NT) Partners
1. First Impressions by Kate
2. Suspicions of Asperger’s Syndrome by Courtney
3. Surviving and Thriving as part of a Neurodiverse Couple by Judy
4. Neurodiverse for 32 Years by Mona
5. Reflections and Lessons Learned in 34 Years in ND Marriage by Natalie
List of Recommended Resources
Who should take 101 FOR COUPLES?
Courses are intended for any partner who thinks they may be in a neurodiverse relationship, and for any individuals who are interested in learning more about neurodiverse relationships.
We recommend that professionals take TRAINING 101 and CERTIFICATION 201.
How and when do I pay?
Payment for any of the courses is required at the time of registration via PayPal.
Is there financial assistance?
We offer financial assistance. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get a promo code.
Can I get a refund after I pay for a course?
Once you have started the course, you will not be eligible for a refund. However, if circumstances arise that prevent you from starting a course after you have paid for it, you may reach out to us at email@example.com to discuss the possibility of receiving a partial refund.
If AANE needs to cancel or reschedule a course, you will be offered a full refund.
Can I take these courses on my computer, tablet, or smartphone?
These courses will work on the latest versions of most major browsers on computers, tablets, and smartphones.
Who do I contact with questions, technical issues, or customer service?
Please call Grace Myhill at AANE at 617-393-3824 ext 243 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, technical issues, or customer service.
How do I request special accommodations?
Please call Grace Myhill at AANE at 617-393-3824 ext 243 or email us at email@example.com to request special accommodations.
What do I do if I have a complaint or a grievance?
Please call Grace Myhill at AANE at 617-393-3824 ext 243 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will email you our grievance policy.
Who are the instructors?
The course was developed by Grace Myhill, MSW. She is the primary instructor. The course also includes a lecture by Jamie Freed, MSW, another expert in the field of neurodiverse couples therapy.
Can I share the course materials?
You may keep the downloadable PDFs for your ongoing use. Any use or reproduction of any of the Neurology Matters in Couples Therapy materials requires approval from AANE.
Do you offer CE credits for 101 FOR COUPLES?
No, we currently do not offer CE credits for this course.
Subscribe for AANE weekly emails, monthly news, updates, and more!